Tuesday, September 16, 2014

In the Presence of the LORD


One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek;
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life
                      Psalm 27:4 NIV 

     I have thought a lot about separation in these months following the death of my sister. Some days I long for her until I think my heart might rupture. Although we lived hundreds of miles apart, one push of her number on my telephone brought her to me as if we sat in the same room discussing life over a diet Pepsi and a cup of coffee.
 

     The grief process plunged me into a deep well and only now do I feel like someone has thrown me a rope—pulling me slowly toward the light of life and joy. But during these days of intense longing to once again sit in the presence of my sister I cling to the knowledge that I will see her again. I am going where she is!

     Even greater than knowing I will one day be with loved ones in heaven, is the knowledge that I daily live in the presence of my LORD. He never loses my location. His GPS is not obstructed by storms and cloud cover. He never turns His back and walks away from me. His love abides and abounds. His presence is not hidden from me. He is my constant companion.

     He is my fire by night and my cloud by day. The realization that I live in the presence of Almighty God gives peace in the midst of turmoil and joy in the midst of pain. He is my constant companion. I am never alone.

     If I would be granted only one request for my remaining days, it would be this: “That I may dwell in the house of the LORD, all the days of my life.”

Thank God that for His Children that request is already granted for we are forever in His presence. 

© Joyce Powell
9.16.14

No comments:

Post a Comment