Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Dustbowl of Spiritual Drought


O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
      Psalm 63:1 NIV

 
     Six a.m. and it has been raining for the past two hours. Thunder rolls through the Hill Country as the answer to many prayers cleanses the land and washes away months of dust. Here in south Texas, wearied by heat and drought, we have longed for rain.
 
     Like the physical drought in our land, we can also face a spiritual drought; a time when we do not seem to hear from God. The reasons for a spiritual drought may be varied but the result is the same; dryness of soul and spirit.
 
     Loss of relationship, grief, loss of a job, financial distress or family difficulties are only a few reasons for personal spiritual drought. Longings for restoration in these areas can distract our focus from God and place it on our life situation. The longer we are distracted the stronger satan’s pull away from God and toward spiritual drought.
 
     When I find myself drifting toward the dustbowl of spiritual drought and my soul begins to grow thirsty and weary, David’s words ring loud in my heart, and I am reminded to earnestly seek God. His Word becomes a wellspring of life as renewed strength and spiritual energy refresh and restore my soul.
 
     If you are in the dustbowl of spiritual drought, earnestly seek God. I guarantee He will refresh your soul with living water.
 
© Joyce Powell
9.18.14

No comments:

Post a Comment